About Healthy Youth Ambassadors
Created by the Suffolk Partnership for a Healthy Community, the Healthy Youth Ambassadors program is an innovative approach to combating the problem of youth obesity. Funded by the Virginia Foundation for Healthy Youth, the Healthy Youth Ambassador program is an initiative where youth tackle the most important issue facing their generation with the support of their peers and with the tools and communication methods they are most comfortable with-social media messaging. The Healthy Youth Ambassadors program empowers youth to utilize peer outreach and social media tools (blog, u-tube, facebook, twitter, multimedia presentations etc) to promote the message of healthful lifestyle choice for youth in Suffolk.
Youth Ambassador Eligibility and Responsibilities:
Healthy Youth Ambassadors are youth who:
- Represent various schools, boroughs and segments of Suffolk population.
- Express interest in becoming a role model for their peers.
- Demonstrate a commitment to pursuing healthful life choices.
- Possess leadership abilities along with interest in and knowledge of social media tools.
As a part of their commitment as each Healthy Youth Ambassador will:
- Work in a group (of 6 to 10) to complete a mini social media project highlighting problem of youth obesity and creative solutions to solve it.
- Participate in Suffolk Community and Learning Gardens and Suffolk on the Move activities.
All Healthy Youth Ambassadors will receive information on healthy eating and active living resources and tools.