History of Suffolk on the Move
- In 2002 area pediatricians identified a need to reduce childhood obesity.
- The Healthy Eating and Fitness Task Force is created.
- Next four years-collaboration with community stakeholders in activities to educate Suffolk residents on healthy lifestyle choices.
- September 2006-a community forum to solicit ideas on how Suffolk could support a more healthful lifestyle.
- 2007-OHF gave a grant to work jointly with the Health Department to investigate "Community-wide perception of barriers and potential solutions to making healthful lifestyle and choice"
- The Suffolk Partnership conducted interviews with15 area business to understand active living opportunities available to their employees.
- The Suffolk Partnership conducted 26 focus groups-middle school, working and stay-at-home parents, disabled and senior citizens
- Findings of this investigation resulted in the "Suffolk on the Move" action plan